On this page:
Substitutions and Programme Changes
Substitutions may be made at any time. It may be necessary, for reasons beyond the control of the organiser, to change programme content, speakers and/or timings. RUSI is not liable for any changes.
Details provided at the time of registration (title, name, job title and organisation) will be printed on delegate lists and delegate badges where applicable, unless otherwise requested by the registrant. Electronic copies of these delegate lists may be shared with event participants at their request.
You may cancel your bookings to free online and in-person event by managing this in the 'My events' section of your Dashboard. For paid events, you can request to cancel your booking in 'My events' section of your account. Please indicate your reasons for wishing to cancel your boking. This will be reviewed by the RUSI Events team and will be reviewed on a case by case basis. Please contact [email protected] if you wish to discuss this before booking.
Speakers alone are responsible for the contents of their respective papers. It is the policy of the Institute to give the fullest freedom to contributors/speakers to express their opinions. Only by doing so can the Institute carry out the terms of its charter. The opinions expressed by RUSI staff and RUSI Fellows do not necessarily represent the views of the Institute.
RUSI's conferences, lectures and other events benefit not only from the presentation of the speakers but also from the subsequent discussion. Most RUSI events are subject to the 'RUSI Rule' unless otherwise stated.
The RUSI Rule means that:
All speeches and prepared remarks are ‘on the record’ and are attributable to the individual and the event organised by the Royal United Services Institute.
All comments made in response to questions (i.e., the non‐prepared remarks) are neither attributable to the individual, nor to the event.
Those wishing to quote any remark that is un-attributable by these rules, should seek the permission of the speaker of those specific remarks.
Please read these terms and conditions carefully before using this site (rusi.org and my.rusi.org)
These terms tell you the rules for using our website rusi.org and my.rusi.org (our site).
Who we are and how to contact us
Rusi.org and its subdomain my.rusi.org is a site operated by The Royal United Services Institute for Defence and Security Studies (RUSI) ("We"). We are registered as a charity in England and Wales under charity number: 210639 and have our registered office at 61 Whitehall, London, SW1A 2ET, UK Our VAT number is GB752275038. We are regulated by the Charity Commission.
If you do not agree to these terms, you must not use our site. You may use our site only for lawful purposes.
We recommend that you print a copy of these terms for future reference.
There are other terms that may apply to you
The following additional terms may also apply to your use of our site if you are a registered member or attend one of our events:
- Our Membership Terms and Conditions (https://my.rusi.org/terms-and-conditions.html#Membership%20Ts&Cs) sets out the policy of being a RUSI member.
- Our Events Terms and Conditions (https://my.rusi.org/terms-and-conditions.html#Events%20Ts&Cs), set out information about registering for and attending our events online and in-person.
We may make changes to these terms
We amend these terms from time to time. Every time you wish to use our site, please check these terms to ensure you understand the terms that apply at that time, as you shall be deemed to have accepted them by your continued use of our site. These terms were most recently updated on 22 January 2024.
We may make changes to our site
We frequently update the content of our site and will make changes to sections of our site from time to time, reserving the right to remove and/or archive content after a period of time.
Accessing our site and breach of these terms
Access to our site is permitted on a temporary basis, and we reserve the right to withdraw or amend our site or the services we provide on our site without notice. We do not guarantee that our site, or any content on it, will always be available or be uninterrupted and we will not be liable if for any reason our site is unavailable at any time or for any period. We may suspend or withdraw or restrict the availability of all or any part of our site for business, legal and operational reasons. We will try to give you reasonable notice of any suspension or withdrawal.
When using our site, you must comply with the provisions relating to acceptable use, detailed below and failure to comply with such provisions constitutes a material breach of these Website Terms and Conditions. When we consider that a breach of these Website Terms and Conditions has occurred, we may take such action as we deem appropriate including, but not limited to, any of the following actions:
- Immediate, temporary, or permanent withdrawal of your right to use our site;
- Immediate, temporary, or permanent removal of any Contribution uploaded by you to our site;
- Issue of a warning to you;
- Legal proceedings against you for reimbursement of all costs on an indemnity basis (including, but not limited to, reasonable administrative and legal costs) resulting from the breach;
- Further legal action against you;
- Disclosure of such information to law enforcement authorities as we reasonably feel is necessary or as required by law.
We exclude our liability for all action we may take in response to breaches of these Website Terms and Conditions. The actions we may take are not limited to those described above, and we may take any other action we reasonably deem appropriate.
You must keep your account details safe
If you choose, or you are provided with, a user identification code, password, or any other piece of information as part of our security procedures, you must treat such information as confidential. You must not disclose it to any third party.
If you know or suspect that anyone other than you knows your user identification code or password, you must promptly notify us at [email protected].
How you may use material on our site
We are the owner or the licensee of all intellectual property rights in our site, and in the material published on it. This could include copyright and trademarks, as detailed in the Copyright and Trademark notice below and include, but not be limited to, publications, papers, reports, animations, character design, text, software, music, lyrics, sound, photographs, graphics, video, audio, infographics page layouts and design.
Those works are protected by copyright laws and treaties around the world. All such rights are reserved.
You may print off one copy, and may download extracts, of any page(s) from our site for your personal reference and you may draw the attention of others within your organisation to content posted on our site.
Other than this, you agree not to copy, download, adapt, alter, modify, rent, lease, loan, sell, distribute, or create derivative works of any content of our site, or of any site property received by you as part of a membership, in whole or in part. All rights not granted or licensed pursuant to these Terms are hereby expressly reserved to us.
You must not modify the paper or digital copies of any materials you have printed off or downloaded in any way, and you must not use any illustrations, photographs, video or audio sequences or any graphics separately from any accompanying text.
Our status (and that of any identified contributors) as the authors of content on our site must always be acknowledged.
You must not use any part of the materials or content on our site for commercial purposes without obtaining a licence to do so from us or our licensors.
Copyright and Trademark notice
‘Royal United Services Institute’, ‘RUSI’ and ‘www.rusi.org’ and 'rusi.org' are UK registered trademarks of The Royal United Services Institute for Defence and Security Studies. You are not permitted to use them without our prior written approval.
All information and content on our site is the copyright of The Royal United Services Institute for Defence and Security Studies. Our trading name and our site are owned by us and are descriptive of our products and services.
No text or data mining, or web scraping
You shall not conduct, facilitate, authorise, or permit any text or data mining or web scraping in relation to our site or any services provided via, or in relation to, our site. This includes using (or permitting, authorising, or attempting the use of):
- Any "robot", "bot", "spider", "scraper" or other automated device, program, tool, algorithm, code, process, or methodology to access, obtain, copy, monitor or republish any portion of the site or any data, content, information, or services accessed via the same.
- Any automated analytical technique aimed at analysing text and data in digital form to generate information which includes but is not limited to patterns, trends, and correlations.
The provisions in this clause should be treated as an express reservation of our rights in this regard, including for the purposes of Article 4(3) of Digital Copyright Directive ((EU) 2019/790).
This clause shall not apply insofar as (but only to the extent that) we are unable to exclude or limit text or data mining or web scraping activity by contract under the laws which are applicable to us.
Do not rely on information on this site
The content on our site (including commentary and other materials posted on our site) is provided for general information only. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely. You must obtain professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any action based on the content on our site. The opinions expressed in our publications and other website content are the responsibility of the authors and we draw your attention to the terms and any disclaimers expressed by the authors (or their publishers) in such publications and website content. We therefore disclaim all liability and responsibility arising from any reliance placed on such materials by any visitor to our site, or by anyone who may be informed of any of its contents.
Although we make reasonable efforts to update the information on our site, we make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content on our site is accurate, complete, or up to date.
We are not responsible for the websites we link to
Where our site contains links to other sites and resources provided by third parties, these links are provided for your information only. Such links should not be interpreted as approval by us of those linked websites or information you may obtain from them.
We have no control over the contents of those sites or resources.
How to complain about or report content
If you become aware of any material that is illegal or could comprise or be connected to child sexual abuse or exploitation or could comprise terrorist content or be connected to terrorism, please contact us immediately on [email protected].
Our responsibility for loss or damage suffered by you
Whether you are a consumer or a business user:
- We do not exclude or limit in any way our liability to you where it would be unlawful to do so. This includes liability for death or personal injury caused by our negligence or the negligence of our employees, agents, or subcontractors and for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation.
- Different limitations and exclusions of liability will apply to liability arising as a result of the supply of any of our services or products to you (including, but not limited to, member content and events), which will be set out in the terms and conditions referred to and linked above under the heading: ‘There are other terms that may apply to you.’
If you are a business user:
- We exclude all implied conditions, warranties, representations, or other terms that may apply to our site or any content on it.
- We will not be liable to you for any loss or damage, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, even if foreseeable, arising under or in connection with:
- use of, or inability to use, our site; or
- use of or reliance on any content displayed on our site.
- In particular, we will not be liable for:
- loss of profits, sales, business, or revenue;
- business interruption;
- loss of anticipated savings;
- loss of business opportunity, goodwill, or reputation; or
- any indirect or consequential loss or damage.
If you are a consumer user:
- Please note that we only provide our site for domestic and private use. You agree not to use our site for any commercial or business purposes, and we have no liability to you for any loss of profit, loss of business, business interruption, or loss of business opportunity.
- If defective digital content that we have supplied, damages a device or digital content belonging to you and this is caused by our failure to use reasonable care and skill, we will either repair the damage or pay you compensation.
- We do not guarantee that our site will be suitable for your purposes or requirements. If your computer does not support relevant technology, including encryption, you may not be able to use certain services or access certain information on our site. We will not be responsible for any failure of electronic messages or images (whether via the internet or SMS) sent through the service to reach your intended recipient on the date specified by you.
Our site is accessed via the World Wide Web which is at your own risk and subject to all applicable national and international laws and regulations. We do not represent that our site is appropriate or available for use in any jurisdiction other than the United Kingdom. How we may use your personal information.
Uploading content to our site
Our site is not designed to allow users to upload material to it, so users are advised not to transmit unsolicited material to us in order to have it posted on our site.
We are not responsible for viruses, and yomust not introduce them
We do not guarantee that our site will be secure or free from bugs or viruses.
You are responsible for configuring your information technology, computer programmes and platform to access our site. You should use your own virus protection software.
You must not misuse our site by knowingly introducing viruses, trojans, worms, logic bombs or other material that is malicious or technologically harmful. You must not attempt to gain unauthorised access to our site, the server on which our site is stored, or any server, computer or database connected to our site. You must not attack our site via a denial-of-service attack or a distributed denial-of service attack. By breaching this provision, you would commit a criminal offence under the Computer Misuse Act 1990. We will report any such breach to the relevant law enforcement authorities, and we will co-operate with those authorities by disclosing your identity to them. In the event of such a breach, your right to use our site will cease immediately.
We will not be liable for any loss or damage caused by a distributed denial-of-service attack, viruses or other technologically harmful material that may infect your computer equipment, computer programs, data, or other proprietary material due to your use of our site or to your downloading of any material posted on it, or on any website linked to it.
Rules about linking to or from our site
You may link to our site, provided you do so in a way that is fair and legal and does not damage our reputation or take advantage of it.
You must not establish a link in such a way as to suggest any form of association, approval, or endorsement on our part where none exists.
You must not establish a link to our site in any website that is not owned by you.
Our site must not be framed on any other site.
We reserve the right to withdraw linking permission without notice.
The website in which you are linking must comply in all respects with the content standards set out in these terms and conditions.
It is sometimes possible to access our site through a link located on another website or within a third-party email communication. We do not endorse any products, materials, companies, or individuals that provide a link to our site or make any warranties, representations, or other assurances with respect to any information contained in or at these other sites or third-party email communications.
Where our site contains links to other sites and resources provided by third parties, these links are provided for your information only. We have no control over the contents of those sites or resources, do not endorse and are not liable for any content advertising, products, services, or other materials on or available from such sites and accept no responsibility for them or for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of them.
Any dealings by you with any third party on or through our site shall be solely between you and that third party and we shall not be responsible for any loss or damage that may arise from any such dealings, nor shall we be deemed to be acting as an agent for you in any such dealings.
You may use our site only for lawful purposes. You may not use our site:
- In any way that breaches any applicable local, national, or international law or regulation;
- In any way that is unlawful or fraudulent, or has any unlawful or fraudulent purpose or effect;
- For the purpose of harming or attempting to harm minors in any way;
- To bully, insult, intimidate or humiliate any person.
- To send, knowingly receive, upload, download, use, or re-use any material which does not comply with our content standards (set out below);
- To transmit, or procure the sending of, any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising or promotional material or any other form of similar solicitation (spam);
- To knowingly transmit any data, send or upload any material that contains viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time-bombs, keystroke loggers, spyware, adware or any other harmful programs or similar computer code designed to adversely affect the operation of any computer software or hardware.
- In any way that involves child sexual exploitation or abuse.
- To upload terrorist content.
You also agree:
- Not to access without authority, interfere with, damage, or disrupt:
- any part of our site;
- any equipment or network on which our site is stored;
- any software used in the provision of our site; or
- any equipment or network or software owned or used by any third party.
Interaction with our site
We may from time to time provide interactive services on our site, including, without limitation:
- Registration and application forms
- Questionnaires, feedback forms and polls
Where we do provide any interactive service, we will provide clear information to you about the kind of service offered, if it is moderated and what form of moderation is used (including whether it is human or technical). We will do our best to assess any possible risks for users (and in particular, for children) from third parties when they use any interactive service provided on our site, and we will decide in each case whether it is appropriate to use moderation of the relevant service (including what kind of moderation to use) in the light of those risks. However, we are under no obligation to oversee, monitor or moderate any interactive service we provide on our site, and we expressly exclude our liability for any loss or damage arising from the use of any interactive service by a user in contravention of our content standards, set out below, whether the service is moderated or not.
The use of any of our interactive services by a minor is subject to the consent of their parent or guardian. We advise parents who permit their children to use an interactive service that it is important that they communicate with their children about their safety online, as moderation is not fool proof. Minors who are using any interactive service should be made aware of the potential risks to them.
Where we do moderate an interactive service, we will normally provide you with a means of contacting the moderator, should a concern or difficulty arise.
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (Contribution).
The content standards must be complied with in spirit as well as to the letter. The standards apply to each part of any Contribution as well as to its whole.
We will determine, in our discretion, whether a Contribution breaches the content standards.
- Must be accurate (where it states facts);
- Only contain opinions that are genuinely held;
- Must comply with the law applicable in any country from which it is posted and to which the website is targeted;
A Contribution must not:
- Be defamatory of any person;
- Be obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory;
- Bully, insult, intimidate or humiliate;
- Encourage, promote, or provide instructions for deliberate self-harm;
- Encourage, promote, or provide instructions for suicide;
- Encourage, promote, or provide instructions for an eating disorder or behaviours associated with an eating disorder;
- Promote sexually explicit material;
- Include child sexual abuse material;
- Incite violence or hatred against particular groups;
- Promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age;
- Include content that would be considered a criminal offence under laws relating to terrorism, child sexual abuse material, racism or xenophobia;
- Infringe any copyright, database right or trademark of any other person;
- Include video content that has been or would be likely to be given an R18 certificate by the British Board of Film Classification (BBFC);
- Include video content not suitable for BBFC classification;
- Include material that might impair the physical, mental, or moral development of persons under the age of 18;
- Be likely to deceive any person;
- Breach any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence;
- Contain illegal content or promote any illegal content or activity;
- Be in contempt of court;
- Be threatening, abuse or invade another's privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety;
- Be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm, or annoy any other person;
- Impersonate any person or misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person;
- Give the impression that the Contribution emanates from RUSI, if this is not the case;
- Advocate, promote, incite any party to commit, or assist any unlawful or criminal act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse;
- Contain a statement which you know or believe, or have reasonable grounds for believing, that members of the public to whom the statement is, or is to be, published are likely to understand as a direct or indirect encouragement or other inducement to the commission, preparation, or instigation of acts of terrorism;
- Contain any advertising or promote any services or web links to other sites;
You must comply with our guidance on use of maturity or sensitivity ratings on video content.
For the avoidance of doubt, for any Contribution in the form of video content:
- You must tell us immediately, if you upload a video containing any of the following: criminal material (relating to terrorism, sexual exploitation of children, child pornography, racism, and xenophobia), unclassified or unclassifiable videos, videos rated R18 or suitable for R18 rating and other material that might impair the physical, mental, or moral development of persons under the age of 18 (restricted material);
- You must not upload a video containing harmful material;
- You must not upload a video containing advertising for any of the following:
- cigarettes and other tobacco products, electronic cigarettes or electronic cigarette refill containers, and prescription-only medicine; or
- for alcoholic drinks that are not aimed specifically at under 18s and do not encourage immoderate consumption of alcohol.
- Any advertising included in a video you upload must not:
- prejudice respect for human dignity;
- include or promote discrimination based on sex, racial or ethnic origin, nationality, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation;
- encourage behaviour prejudicial to health or safety;
- encourage behaviour grossly prejudicial to the protection of the environment;
- cause physical, mental, or moral detriment to persons under the age of 18;
- directly exhort such persons to purchase or rent goods or services in a manner which exploits their inexperience or credulit
- directly encourage such persons to persuade their parents or others to purchase or rent goods or services;
- exploit the trust of such persons in parents, teachers, or others; or
- unreasonably show such persons in dangerous situations.
- You must use the functionality provided on our site to declare whether, as far as you know or can reasonably be expected to know, any video contains advertising.
Which country's laws apply to any disputes?
Applications for Membership are open to all, but are subject to acceptance by the Council of Trustees.
As a member, you are entitled to access the benefits included within your membership package as laid out on the RUSI website, or as agreed by separate dialogue with the Institute.
Provision of Details
When you create a membership profile with us, you must provide information that is accurate, complete, and current at all times. Failure to do so constitutes a breach of these Terms and Conditions (the “Terms”) which may result in termination or suspension of your membership.
Obligations of Membership
Events (In person and online)
- Whilst on RUSI premises and/or at events organised by or operated in partnership with RUSI, we request that all members act in an appropriate manner so as not to cause offence or annoyance to other visitors, participants, guests, speakers, members, or RUSI staff.
- You may not use your membership to grant access to non-members or, in the case of organisational memberships, access to individuals who are not direct beneficiaries of the organisation membership.
- In exceptional circumstances, guests shall be permitted by prior arrangement and at the discretion of the Director of Membership or Director-General
- We reserve the right to refuse entry, eject and, if necessary, to revoke or suspend membership without refund if an individual behaves in a threatening or abusive manner towards any person at RUSI, damages or threatens to damage any of the collections or property of RUSI, or acts in a manner which brings disrepute to RUSI.
- Members may not take photos, videos or recordings at RUSI events or on RUSI premises without the prior permission of the Director of Membership. If you do so without permission, RUSI reserves the right to expel you from the event or premises and may revoke or terminate your membership.
- The supply of alcohol (where relevant) will be restricted at the sole discretion of RUSI based on the behaviour of the individual and/or their guest.
- RUSI members are expected to abide by the RUSI Bye-laws and, should they be found to be in breach of these, their membership may be suspended or terminated at the discretion of the Director-General.
- RUSI members found to have committed a criminal or other act that could bring the Institute into disrepute will be subject to membership suspension or termination at the discretion of the Director-General.
- Use of RUSI branding and citation of membership is only allowed where permission is received in writing from the Director-General. Members should not seek to use RUSI branding or their membership of RUSI as a matter of self-promotion or post-nominal accreditation.
- Should permission be given for members to use branding, it may be retracted and the member suspended or expelled should it be found to have been used in the promotion of products, attached to activities that RUSI , with reasonable grounds, feels have gone against its core values, or in any way that may bring disrepute upon the RUSI brand.
Your membership term shall run for 12 months from the date of commencement to the 1st of the following month nearest to your anniversary of commencement (the renewal date)
Right to cancel Membership
All members have a right to cancel membership within 14 days of their renewal or sign-up date, and have a right to a full refund of subscription fees where no benefits or services have been accessed. For more information contact the RUSI Membership team at: [email protected]
Membership subscription fees
Membership of RUSI in each category of membership and access to member services is conditional upon the payment of the relevant subscription fee, or at the discretion of the Director-General.
Annual membership subscription fees are payable on joining, and thereafter on the first of the month immediately following the anniversary of the member joining. The rates will be published on the website and, on alteration, by special notice on the website. Any member failing to pay the subscription fees on time may have their name removed from the List of Members, but may be reinstated on paying such arrears of subscription fees as may be determined.
Members are not entitled to a refund of subscription fees following expulsion, suspension, termination or mid-year cancellation of membership.
To renew your membership you must pay your subscription fee in full before your renewal date as defined in Section 4, and provide all necessary details.
Where any subscription fee payable by the member to the Institute is not paid by the renewal date, your membership shall be deemed to have lapsed, benefits will cease and re-joining fees may apply.
Membership Suspension or Termination
If any member of the Institute contravenes the Institute’s Bye-Laws, or behaves in a manner that, in the opinion of the Director-General, means that it is no longer desirable that the membership continues, the Director-General shall have the power to suspend or terminate the membership. The Director-General is under no obligation to disclose the reasons for such a decision. Decisions on removal shall be made by the Director-General with the member in question retaining the right of appeal to the Council of Trustees for a period of three months.
Defined as any unforeseeable circumstances that prevents RUSI from fulfilling a contract.
As a result of such circumstances, RUSI shall not be deemed to be in breach of the Terms and shall not be liable for the delay or non-performance of any of its obligations under them or for any loss or damage occasioned by this. To the maximum extent permitted by UK law, all losses arising shall not be recoverable by the member.
At any time, RUSI may, at its discretion, amend, change, modify or withdraw any of the benefits that comprise the membership offering. It will be the responsibility of the member to keep up-to-date with all such changes and your membership renewal and continued use of or access to our services shall be deemed acceptance of any changes.
You are responsible for safeguarding the password that you use to access RUSI services and for any activities or actions under your password. You agree not to disclose your password to any third party. You must notify us immediately upon becoming aware of any breach of security or unauthorised use of your account.
Notice and Governing Law
Any notice to be given under the Terms shall be in writing, including to the email address you provide. The Terms shall be interpreted in accordance with English law and all disputes shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.